Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Lao PDR
Oudomxay Nutrition and WASH Advancement for Rural Development (ONWARD) Project Manager
Program Officer/Program Director
Houn District, Oudomxay Province (12 months)
Type of Employment
The ONWARD Project is a 3 year integrated Nutrition and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) project that will be implemented in 10 villages in Houn District, Oudomxay Province. The project will cover a total population of approximately 7,500 household members (approximately 3,560 women). The ONWARD project will provide gender sensitive nutrition training and awareness, improved access to water and sanitation, health promotion and hygiene, and gender empowerment.
Purpose of Position:
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Program Director and the Program Officer, the ONWARD Project manager will ensure the effective and efficient management and implementation of the Oudomxay Nutrition and WASH Advancement for Rural Development Project as per the project proposal, budget and donor requirements. The ONWARD Project manager will effectively manage his/her staff, and will ensure sound development principles. He/she will adhere to the mission, values and principles of ADRA Laos as stated in the HR Handbook. He/she will uphold the policies and procedures of ADRA Laos, and will ensure quality monitoring and evaluation (M&E), documentation and reporting of the project.
- Collaborates and coordinates effectively with ADRA Laos Program Staff
- Coordinates effectively with government counterparts (District Health Office, Provincial Health Department, Namsaat)
- Work with Provincial and District government staff to assess the local situation and then to ensure the most appropriate development activities are being implemented in a timely and coordinated manner
- Coordinate with NGO partners in the District to ensure there is no overlap between activities
- Detailed Implementation Planning measures are in place at the beginning of the project using community level participatory measures
- Performs a range of management functions to ensure effective implementation of project activities: Planning, organizing, coordinating, supervising and delegating responsibility
- Support the design and data collection necessary to implement the activities
- Prepares and submits a monthly narrative report and financial report to ADRA Program and Finance Staff
- Prepares and submits a quarterly narrative report and financial report to ADRA Program and Finance Staff
- Achieves the project proposal’s Goals, Objectives and Outcomes
Impact of Results:
The ONWARD Project Manager will ensure that the project outcomes result in a positive impact on ADRA’s development program. The work achieved through the project will promote the image of ADRA as an effective contributor to the development in the area/region.
In addition, the Project Manager will ensure that the outcomes achieved in the ONWARD Project are disseminated throughout Laos, and will seek ways to upscale and integrate the project outcomes in future programming initiatives.
- Demonstrates honesty in all undertakings & commitment to ADRA’s mission, principles and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Displays the highest professional and ethical standards
- Represents and maintains a positive organizational image of professionalism
- Manages the project activities under the Program Director of the national office wherever the projects are implemented in order to reach the established goals of projects
- Assists in managing financial and administrative issues of approved projects
- Manages human resources under the Human Resource/Administration Officer at national level for Project Managers
- Ensures that the Project Managers give timely monitoring and evaluation reports and provides timely and quality reports for different projects being implemented.
- Maintains excellent coordination and communication between ADRA Lao national program management and regional government authorities, INGOs, NGOs, government partners and other stakeholders
- Ensure that Emergency Management (EM) and security measures are in place in regional office
- Works in close collaboration with the Country Director, the Program Director, Finance Director, PROCOM, PMC and ADCOM in fulfilling the mission of ADRA.
- Reports to the Program Director, and as a part of the ADRA Laos Programs Support team (Program Director, MEL Officer), works in close collaboration with the ADRA Laos National office Administrative team.
- Supports the Program Director in the generation of progress and annual narrative reporting to ensure donor and government requirements are achieved in a timely manner.
- In collaboration with the M&E officer develops and maintains the National offices project documentation filing system and procedure. This includes ensuring that all donor documentation (i.e. project agreements, government MoU)have a soft and hard file.
- Supports the Project Managers to develop yearly DIP (Detailed Information Plans) and ensure that DIP aligns with approved project Program Management Framework (logfram).
- Track progress against the DIP in collaboration with the Project Manager.
- Leads the Programs Supports team annual project planning process. This includes facilitating the development of the plan and ensuring that National office human resources are allocated appropriately.
- Schedules and minutes National-project office support meetings (as outlined in the Learning opportunities section of the MEL system)
- Researches and keeps current with worldwide development strategies as well as those directly related to South-east Asia.
- Provides regular feed-back to Project Managers in an effort to build capacity and ensure proper project implementation.
- As necessary attends donor and INGO meetings; meets governmental and donor representatives
- Assumes the role of Project Manager in starting up projects until such position is filled.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned by the Programs Director over time
- Focuses on the results for the beneficiaries and responds positively to feedback
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complex issues and changing realities
- Exhibits transparency, openness, honesty and ensures participatory methods are utilized in all project undertakings
- University Degree/Diploma-preferably a Master’s Degree (Development, Education or Management level degree)
- Strong understanding and prior experience in health, nutrition, WASH and gender programming
- At least 2 years of working experience in related responsibility or in Project Management, should have very good working knowledge of government’s bodies, and familiar with Government policies and protocols applicable for project implementation. Good supervisory skills and demonstrates ability to communicate well with I/NGOs, Government Counterparts, Stakeholders, Civil Society and subordinates. Experience with project planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation are required. The candidate must possess very good writing in English
- Computer literacy: MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Database functions
- Excellence in Laos and English
A letter of intent and CV should be sent in a sealed envelope or email to Latdavanh Khamvongsa firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 April to ADRA Laos, attention: ADRA Laos program director, Ban Phontan, Xaysettha District, Vientiane Capital, PO Box 5000, Vientiane Lao PDR. Tel: 021 264611-2. Only shortlisted candidate will be notified for an interview and applications will not be returnedBack