CRS School Readiness Camps: Illustrator Consultant
The purpose of this Scope of Work (SOW) outlines the tasks of an illustrator to collaborate with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) on the development of instructional materials for the CRS School Readiness Camps, to be held during the summer of 2018.
The consultancy period will cover ten working days in Vientiane from December 11 – December 29, 2017.
CRS is a key actor in the Education sector in Lao PDR, and has recently completed a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) McGovern-Dole (MGD) Food for Education (FFE) grant for 2012-2016, and has been awarded a follow-on project from 2016-2021 called Learning and Engaging All in Primary School II (LEAPS II), reaching over 42,000 primary school students in approximately 350 schools in 7 educationally disadvantaged districts in Savannakhet Province. The strategic objectives (SO) of Learning and Engaging All in Primary School II (LEAPS II) are: SO1) Improved literacy of school-aged children; and SO2) Increased use of health and dietary practices. The LEAPS II School Readiness Camps pilot will focus on supporting children to develop Lao language skills before entering Grade 1.
The objectives of the consultant SOW are as follows:
- Develop 1 illustration to accompany each of the 6 weekly stories: the School Readiness Camps will use very simple teaching materials that focus on key vocabulary. The weekly stories will capture the key vocabulary for the week, and 1 image is needed to support each story.
- Develop a set of Lao alphabet cards with corresponding images: the vocabulary taught during the camp will align with the vocabulary used to teach the Lao alphabet, and a large set of images with their corresponding letters will be used to support instruction.
iv. Key Working Relationships
The Illustrator will work with and report directly to the CRS Laos Education Technical Advisor (TA).
CRS Laos: Education TA, LEAPS II Chief of Project, LEAPS II Program Manager, MEAL Coordinator
Outside CRS Laos: None.
v. Implementation Information
The Lao Language consultant will work in Vientiane.
- 6 illustrations to accompany each of the 6 weekly stories.
- 1 set of Lao alphabet cards with corresponding images (total of 27)
Working days for consultant are estimated at 10 days maximum for the illustration consultancy, between the period of December 11 and December 29, 2017. The CRS Laos Educational Technical Advisor and the consultant will meet every 3 working days to discuss progress and any questions that may come up. A specific meeting calendar will be established with the consultant.
d. Logistics Support
e. Key Qualifications
- Native or near-native fluency in Lao and ability to understand and speak some English.
- Experience with illustration and/or education and work in the arts.
f. Application Requirements
Application must include a CV, estimated price for services, and a sample of artwork.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 8, 2017. They may also be dropped off at the Vientiane Office at: Unit 01 Phonthan Neua Village, Saysettha District, Vientiane.